Jesus in the real world
3: Mary and Elizabeth
“Three women make an opera.” “Two women are like 1000 ducks.”
John Worshipped (39-41)
39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, 40 and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb.
- This was quite a reunion!
- “the baby leaped in her womb.”
- God creates all life.
Elizabeth Worshipped (41-45)
41 And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
- “filled with the Holy Spirit”
- Found her Lord
- Focused on others
Mary Worshipped (46-56)
46 And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48 for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; 49 for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 50 And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; 52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; 53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 54 He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55 as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.” 56 And Mary remained with her about three months and returned to her home.
- With all that she had
- With a heart saturated with Scripture
- Memorized and meditated her Bible
- Her worship was focused on Who God is and all He has done
- Her worship is the gospel
- The Mighty One has done great things for us
- Worship is always and only the proper response to Jesus!
- Does your soul magnify the Lord today?
- Focus on the faithful God!