The immortal words, “Hey y’all, watch this!” have been uttered many times down through the centuries. And in many of those times, something really bad happened soon after! Many of us have momentary brain lapses and make poor choices. The consequences can be brutal.
Pride is a deadly enemy. The phrase “pride goes before a fall” actually comes from Proverbs 16:18: “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” And there seems to be no shortage of examples to prove God’s point!
That brings us to this week’s message in our series “Fallen Fathers, Gracious God.” While Joseph never said “Hey y’all, watch this,” he did boast about visions he’d had about ruling over his family. That pride quickly brought Joseph very low. And yet, our gracious God worked through more tragedy to humble Joseph and save his family and others.
I’ll fill in the rest of the story on Sunday, and also talk about what we can learn from Joseph. You can read the Joseph’s story for yourself in Genesis 37 and 39-50.
Please join us in person on Sunday at 9:28 for Sunday School and 11 for our combined service with communion. You can still join us online by going through our website, www.tcbcf.org and clicking the “watch the stream” button to worship with us through our YouTube page.
I’d also like to put in another plug for our Friday night virtual fellowship. We’re going to be discussing last week’s sermon on Jacob. Let me know if you need the link, and then join us Friday night online at 7!
Until then, by God’s grace, may you think twice before you say, “Hey y’all, watch this!”
See you soon!
PS, Here’s an electronic copy of this week’s sermon outlines. A limited number of paper copies will also be available on Sunday morning!
Joseph 約瑟37, 39-50
A. Fallen Joseph 墮落的約瑟
1. Proud boasting and competition nearly cost him his life. 驕傲的自誇和競爭幾乎使他喪命
2. Learned humility from his experiences. 從他的經歷中學到了謙卑
3. Learned to give credit to God. 學會歸功於 神
4. Did not seek revenge. 沒求報仇
5. Saved “the world.” 拯救了“世界”
B. Gracious God 賜恩的 神
1. Chose Him. 揀選了約瑟
2. God Took Joseph through hard times to humble and mature him. 為了謙卑成熟約瑟， 神就領他經歷艱難的時期
3. Gave Joseph wisdom to serve others. 為了服事其他的人， 神把智慧賜給約瑟
4. Saved “the world” through Joseph 通過約瑟拯救了“世界”
5. Gave us a picture of another “Brother” that saves 把另一個拯救我們的兄弟的形象留給我們
C. So What? 那麼？