All of us have baggage. Things from our past that weigh us down and keep us from living in the freedom Christ offers. Maybe it’s guilt or shame connected to sin. Or it could be fear. Fearing people, our past, or our future. But the longer we carry it, the heavier the bags seem to get. We do all kinds of things to cope with this baggage. This is another way that Lent helps us. As we set aside some of our crutches and the things that we often run to for comfort, we begin to see the Lord more clearly. We begin to see more of what He wants to do in us and through us. Lenten fasts help us quit hiding in the baggage of our past.
This Sunday we’re going to continue in our series of fallen fathers by talking about another guy hiding in baggage. Saul looked like he should have been a great king. But literal and figurative baggage kept getting in His way. But Saul had a gracious God. So do we!
Please join us in person on Sunday at 9:28 for English and 11 for Chinese as we discuss Saul. We’ll hit the highlights of his story found in 1 Samuel 9-31. If you can’t make it in person, you can still join us online by going through our website: www.tcbcf.org then hit “watch livestream.”
1. We need as many people as possible (at least 100) to subscribe to our YouTube page. You can do that by going to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgbRGVzvKD53vjQziNRl1ww . That should bring you to “Tucson Chinese Baptist Church.” Please hit “subscribe,” and you should be all set! This will give us greater control over how we manage our live stream capabilities. Thanks to all that have already subscribed! We’re more than halfway to our goal!
2. Friday night virtual fellowship. We’re going to be discussing last week’s sermon on Samuel. Let me know if you need the link, and then join us Friday night online at 7!
Until we meet again, may you lose some of the baggage that weighs you down by turning your eyes on our Lord Jesus!
See you soon!
Electronic copy of this week’s sermon outline:
Saul 1Samuel 9-31
A. Fallen Saul
1. “________ ___________ leader”
2. First _______
3. ____________ people led to ___________________ and disqualification
B. Gracious God
1. Chose him in spite of ________ ______ ____________
2. Used him to _____ ____ the kingdom
3. Promised and fulfilled Saul’s _____________
C. So what can we learn from Saul?